Thursday, October 24, 2013

heroes and hope

Last weekend we watched The Amazing Spider-Man with our kids. Since we are such a boy heavy household we watch a lot of super hero movies. I will admit, I do like the occasional super hero movie.  What's not to like? Handsome muscly men flying or swinging or jetting around the world saving the day. I don't want to watch them over and over and over like my sons do, but once or twice is ok with me.

I enjoyed the movie. I think the actor did a convincing job portraying a goofy, awkward teenage boy. The movie had comedy, a little romance and adventure, all important elements for an enjoyable experience.

The part that I most enjoyed though, was watching it with my family.

I loved hearing my boys laugh and laugh at the funny scenes. I loved hearing them whisper to themselves, "That's so awesome" while watching a completely unrealistic (although admittedly awesome) scene.

I loved watching them watching the movie.

I think super hero movies are popular because we all want to believe that good will always triumph over evil. Yes, there is evil in our world. It might not realistically be in the form of a giant lizard-man taking over New York city, like the movie, but it's there.

I believe that no matter where we come from, no matter our upbringing, no matter our culture, we have hope. We want to believe that in our time of need, help will come. Our help may come in the form of a friend, a family member,  or a stranger. Maybe it will come in the form of a song, a book or the Internet.

If perhaps it comes in the form of a spandex wearing web slinger, well that's ok too.



No comments:

Post a Comment