Wednesday, September 25, 2013

to cheat or not to cheat, that is the question....

Fact #1: I'm an avid reader. There is never a time that I'm not engrossed in a book. In fact, I usually have a stack of about 4 books waiting to be read.

Fact #2: I'm a cheater.

Well, let me clarify that....

I don't cheat at games. I don't cheat on my husband. I don't even speed while driving (ahem, mostly).

But I always, always read the last page of whatever book I'm reading, after I'm about 1/3 of the way into the book. I don't start a book knowing that I will cheat, but I will be reading happily along when all of a sudden, I have to know what the ending will be like.

I don't like surprises. I want to know if the book is going to end happy or sad. I want to brace myself and be prepared if it's going to be sad.

My sister, who won't even read the inside jacket or the back of the book to get the summary, because she doesn't want to spoil the story, obviously thinks this is blasphemy(!).

Sometimes there is just a short paragraph on the last page, and sometimes the page is full. But I can usually tell what the "feel" is, by reading whatever is there. Most of the time, reading the last page doesn't give away the ending of the story, but it just lets me know whether to expect "happy" or "sad".

Is this cheating?  Probably, but I really don't care, it's a system that works for me.

This habit of mine, is just one of the many reasons MS is frustrating to me. I want to know the end of the story! Yes, I realize no one knows the end of their life story. But when you add MS to the equation, it changes the normal life story. Now that I know what I know, I'm pretty sure the end of my story will involve harder things than the average healthy person.

What I really need is a crystal ball!






  

4 comments:

  1. Blasphemy! Blasphemy!

    But in the case of ms...that I totally agree with you on! Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely with your sister on this one. I'm an avid reader, too, but I could never, ever read the last page. I love the surprise of each page and chapter. I think I'm also that way about the MS, and I suppose all other aspects of my life. I'm better off not knowing. I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool comparison. I think we can all relate to wanting to know the end of our MS story. I'd be concerned, though, that if I saw the last page I may not want to read the story and I'd miss all of the really good parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read the last page...but often times read way to quickly. The more I am enjoying a book, the more sloppy I am at reading it because I am so anxious to see how it ends.

    I guess I'd better be careful to not live my life that way....sloppy because I'm curious as to how it ends.

    I totally understand you wanting to know.

    ReplyDelete