Thursday, September 19, 2013

Michael J

By the time I was 14, I was 5'11" tall. I towered over everyone I knew. I was always known as the tall girl.  When friends signed my  yearbook at the end of the school year, their entries always had some form of "you're so tall!," as if I didn't know this and needed people to point it out to me.

Back then my dad, a regular giant himself, at 6'5" loved to tease me about my love for Michael J Fox. (Google tells me that Michael J. Fox is 5'4".) "How can you love a guy that's that short!," he would laugh. But I didn't care. I had started my love affair while watching Family Ties on tv, and then when Michael J. Fox starred in Back to the Future the deal was sealed. He was smart, funny, sarcastic and cute.  Who cared that he was 7 inches shorter than me?

Fast forward time to when I was 39 and had received my diagnosis of MS. It had been a few months and I was still wallowing in despair. In the library one day, I happened to come across Michael J Fox's memoir, Lucky Man. I knew that it dealt with his Parkinson's diagnosis and it featured my favorite short guy, so I brought it home.

I enjoyed the book, and I felt it dealt very truthfully with the realities of receiving a life changing diagnosis.  He treated the subject with self deprecating humor and charm. In a small way, it reminded me that people everywhere are dealing with things that they didn't plan for.


This morning while eating my breakfast I read the above article in Good Housekeeping magazine, a small excerpt is found here.  He is still the same funny, charming guy that he's ever been. He hasn't allowed Parkinson's to define himself. He carries on, he lives his life, he works to find a cure. He is happy. In the article he talks about "joy". He says, "That's really the emotion I'm most at home in. Not that I can't experience sadness or desire or whatever. I'm just most at home in joy."

I like it.

The article closes with: "Look at the choices you have, not the choices that have been taken away from you. In them, there are whole worlds of strength and new ways to look at things."

Wise, wise words from my favorite short guy.

3 comments:

  1. I never "got" the MJF-thing. But I am a different generation that you-- so I suppose that accounts for that.

    I appreciate his perspective, too.

    We're looking forward to his show coming this fall. Will you watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too Loved Michael J Fox. From Family Ties and especially in the Back to the Future movies. Did you see he is coming out with a new T.V. series? I want to watch it. I think he puts his Parkinson's as a main point in the show but as a comedy. I think then short and tall didn't matter. But I recall us complaining when all the really tall handsome men picked a really short girl. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to always watch family ties. i like MJ Fox, as well.

    you are right....i think the adversary is always trying to get us to look at what we don't or shouldn't or can't have as opposed to all that is here right in front of us that we can...including joy.
    (it all started in the garden of eden ;)

    ReplyDelete