Friday, August 31, 2012

yoga for dummies

So. 
Yoga.
The picture above is pretty much what I picture yoga to be about.
Or this:

And while I have been doing yoga, yoga-ing, practicing yoga for about 6 months, trust me that I don't look like either of these pictures. Trust me.

It surprises me how much I like it.
It surprises me how much I need it.

I'm doing a very easy-beginner-free app that I put on my iToy. I do it in the privacy of my own home. Occasionally my kids will join me. It takes twenty minutes, it's nothing fancy. Think yoga for dummies.

The first time I ever tried it, I spent the whole time muttering to myself, "I feel like an idiot."  And the second time and the third time and so on......but then I realized that every time I did yoga, I felt better.
Every.single.time.

It's a good way for me to stretch out all kinds of muscles. I'm really bad at the "breathing" that is supposed to accompany the stretching, but I'm really just doing yoga as a way to facilitate stretching, so I wonder if it matters?

I try and do yoga at least 4-5 times a week.  Sometimes I make my goal, sometimes not. When I don't make my goal, I always feel it.  It's as if my muscles are tightening up like beef jerky that's been left out in the sun too long. 

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society refers to muscle issues as spasticity.

Spasticity refers to feelings of stiffness and a wide range of involuntary muscle spasms (sustained muscle contractions or sudden movements). It is one of the more common symptoms of MS. Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. Spasticity may also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints, and can cause low back pain. Although spasticity can occur in any limb, it is much more common in the legs.
While this sounds like my problem, what I don't know is, if it really is spasticity or is it just a result of having to rest so much due to fatigue? 
That's what I like to do with MS, play the guessing game.  Well, it could be this, but maybe it's this. Or how about this? It does wonders for my peace of mind.
Regardless of what the issue is causing my muscle tightness, yoga seems to be doing the trick.  Even a dummy version seems to be helping.
Although, the real question is, if I bought a peach colored loin cloth would it work even better?


1 comment:

  1. eww, don't buy that.

    I keep thinking I need to do yoga for pregnant ladies...it's on my list of to-dos. I'm sure if I procrastinate long enough I will no longer be pregnant. So that'll be that.

    But I do still have my yoga mat and I used to do it in college because I thought it was cool and trendy and an exercise I could do that was easy.

    I should try it again.

    Good for you for doing it. I'm sure it helps you feel better.

    ReplyDelete