Monday, April 9, 2012

iParking

(Pardon the silence, it's been Spring Break for my kids!)

I own a couple of iToys, and I love them.  A lot. How about you? Do you iGadget?

When Steve Jobs died there was a lot of media coverage on his life and mention of his biography.

Intrigued, I got the book from the library and started to read. I enjoyed reading about his childhood and his teens and early twenties, but once he became a full fledged adult, the thought kept coming to me, "This guy was a real jerk." One of the main themes for the last 2/3 of the book was how badly he treated everyone, how he wanted full control of everyone and everything, how he played mean mind games with all his employees, etc.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no doubts that he changed our world, mostly for the good. But, changing the world and thinking YOU rule the world are two entirely different things.

The book mentions several times that he had no regard whatsoever for handicapped parking spots. He felt like he had the right to park wherever he pleased, and did so, often in handicapped parking spots.

This really burns me.

In my pre-MS life I wouldn't have dreamed of parking in a handicapped spot.  I don't recall giving it much thought, but I knew those spots were not for me. Then, a few months ago, my husband insisted I get handicapped parking license plates.  It was painful to admit that there are often days when I really do need that extra help.  On days when I don't, I don't park there, freeing up the spots for those who need them.

A couple of weeks ago, I drove to our local high school to watch my son compete in a debate tournament.  I arrived after school hours and the large parking lot was almost empty. Except for the lady who was sitting in her car parked in the handicapped parking section, sideways. She effectively blocked the majority of the handicapped parking spots. With no other option available, I took the remaining spot that was furthest from the school.  After a few minutes her daughter came out of the school, got into the car and they drove away.  I may or may not have mumbled something to myself resembling the words, "Stevette Jobs".

I realize that Stevette Jobs probably parked there innocently, knowing that school was over for the day. Stevette Jobs probably thought, "I'm not going to get out of my car, so I'm not actually parking here." I am sure it didn't even cross her mind that she would inconvenience someone.

That's exactly the point.

Don't be a Stevette.

No comments:

Post a Comment